First Baptist Church has served the Mid-Valley area since 1921.
For the first 18 months after Weslaco was founded, all Christian denominations met for worship services in the town’s community center – located at the site of the library-city hall complex a few blocks north of our campus. Then in 1921, an evangelist, Rev. R. L. Cole, and two gospel singers, Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Blankenship, led a revival in Weslaco. Three days after the revival began, 56 people with a Baptist background decided they were in sufficient number to call a conference for the purpose of organizing a church. By the end of their third meeting, their number had grown to 65.
From that day to the present, the church these people started, First Baptist Church of Weslaco has been an active body of Christ in this community.